My name is Stewie aka Nicholas Stewart. I am the father of two amazing children and I’ve been married to an incredible woman for the last 15 years. By trade, I am a software developer and have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
For the past 20 years, I’ve been plagued by a few questions: What’s the most effective way to live in harmony with other people? What is the right way to live? What does it mean to be a good human?
I’ve analyzed people, their interactions, and how they go about achieving their goals. I’ve read dozens of books about interpersonal communication, relationships, and achievement. I worked for many different companies and spent time reflecting on things that went well and things that went wrong. And just as importantly, I’ve reflected on the parts I played. I’ve studied Buddhism and Taoism and have a peripheral knowledge of a dozen other world religions. I’ve explored how they solve human problems.
I don’t claim to have all the answers, but I think I have a few ideas. Within these blog posts are the things that I wish someone had sat me down and told me when I became an adult. Or maybe people did but I was too stubborn to listen. Hopefully, you’ll get something out it.
Random things about me
Myers–Briggs Type Indicator: INTJ
Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw
Questions & Answers
Q: If you could give one piece of advice to pass on to the next generation, what would it be?
A: 2 things: 1) You need other people, so take care of your relationships. 2) It takes 1,000 hours to become competent in a skill, so pick something and stick with it.
Q: How do you deal with doubt in your work?
A: I focus on the long term goal and accept that it takes 1,000 hours to become competent in a skill. So what I produce today will be subpar because I haven’t reached my 1,000 hours. But I’m inching closer.
Q: What are the advantages and disadvantages of being your height
A: I’m short for a man, like really short. But if I’m ever in a Jason Bourne situation, where I need to disappear in a crowd of people, I’m golden.
Q: How often do you read your horoscope? Do you believe there’s any truth to it?
A: Never, really. There’s enough truth-sounding info in them that nearly anyone can find a way to apply them to their life.
Songs I like
- Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places
- U2 - Bad, With or without you
- Sarah McLachlan - Building A Mystery
- Don Henley - End of the Innocence
- Shakira - Toneladas, Ciega Sordomuda
- Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul
- Blues Traveler - Hook
- The Lumineers - Falling, Hey ho
- Sara Bareilles - King of Anything
- Phil Collins - Everyday
- Bruce Hornsby - Mandolin Rain, The way it is, The Valley Road
- Lorde - Royals
- Awolnation - Sail
- Alphaville - Forever Young
- Good Charlotte - Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous
- Modest Mouse - Missed The Boat
- Elefante - Gordito Tracks
- Buena Vista Social Club - El Cuarto de Tula
- Peter Cetera - One Good Woman, Glory of Love, Even A Fool Can See
- Paula Cole - Where have all the cowboys gone.
- The Cranberries - Dreams, Linger
- Eagles: Hotel California
- John Mellencamp - Cherry Bomb
- Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
- CCR - Bad Moon Rising, Lookin’ Out My Back Door, Down on the Corner
- Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack, Georgia On My Mind
- Otis Redding - The Dock of the Bay
- Fleetwood Mac - Dreams, Landslide
- Beatles - Here comes the Sun, Nowhere man, Penny Lane
- Stevie Wonder - Isn’t She Lovely
- Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In the Dark
- Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive
- Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
- Guns N’ Roses - November Rain
- Rod Stewart - Rhythm Of My Heart
- Berlin - Take My Breathe Away
- Aerosmith - Dream On
- Santana - Smooth ft. Rob Thomas, The Game Of Love ft. Michelle Branch, Into The Night ft. Chad Kroeger
- Sting - Fields of gold
- Sade - Smooth Operator
CommentsHave a question or comment? Shoot me an email email@example.com
Get Updates Delivered To Your Inbox
Follow Stewie on Twitter
Say, "Hi!" on Twitter @StewieWrites
Subscribe to Stewie's RSS
All About Stewie
Learn random things about Stewie.
Checkout all of Stewie's recommended books.
More Great Posts
- 13 Writing Lessons From "Style: Toward Clarity And Grace"
- Craving Never Stops, And My Potato Chip Addiction
- Circles of Concern and Control
- Our Thoughts Shape Our Relationships
- No One Knows What You're Thinking
- You Need To Be Needed
- You Need Attention
- You Need Validation
- How To Validate Someone's Feelings
- Reframe The Debate: Should Amazon Pay So Little In Taxes?
- Your Negative Feelings Come From Unmet Needs
- 11 Reasons Why The Kindle App Is Better Than Physical Books
- You Are Special
- Should Writers Wait For Inspiration?
- How A Grocery Shopping List Saves Me Time, Money, and Pounds
- Sleep Deprivation Made College Miserable
- Things That Help Me Sleep
- Why I Don't Rate Books On Goodreads
- How I "Look Forward And Reason Backward"
- It's 2020 and I Feel Good! (Update On 2019)
- The Questions I Ask When Starting New Project At Work
- Here's What I Do When I Feel Stuck On A New Project
- Why I Named My Ego Taz
- How I Reduced My Anxiety By Creating A Home For All Of My Stuff
- The Taylor Principle
- How Fruitless Debates Inflame My Anxiety
- Netflix Really Wants Me To Learn Portuguese
- Mental Models That Will Help You Thrive
- How Social Media Affects My Anxiety Level
- How TV Shows Affect My Anxiety Level
- How Following Sports Affects My Anxiety Level
- How Caffeine Affects My Anxiety Level
- The Anxiety Jar - How I Think About The Intensity Of My Anxiety
- Names Matter
- You Are Responsible For Meeting Your Needs
- You Have Some Basic Needs
- Our Collective Goal Is To Work Fewer Hours, Not More
- Watch for Patterns of Behavior
- That time my wife asked me, "Are we roommates? Or a family?"
- The Grody Blender
- Which Kinds Of Halloween Candy Do You Refuse To Share?
- You Aren't Paid According to the Value you Create at Work
- Parkinson's law and Time Management
- Protect Your Autonomy
- How to Stop Making Passive-Aggressive Demands
- Save Money By Waiting 48 Hours To Buy Stuff
- Take A Monday Morning Minute And Choose Your "One Thing" For The Week
- What's The Purpose Of Your Life?
- What Every Aspiring Artist Doesn't Know But Needs To Hear
- Discipline Equals Freedom
- Stewie's Recommended Books
- How To Instantly Improve Your Relationships
- Spend 2 Hours A Day Investing In Yourself
- Why People Behave Badly
- About Stewie