This is part of my Swift Decluttering For Clothes.
One reader asked:
My weight fluctuates a lot. Should I get rid of clothes and re-buy them later?
This is a common struggle and something that millions of people deal with. And there’s no one-size-fits-all answer because people’s situations vary a lot.
With that said, here are the swift decluttering guidelines, practices, and considerations for keeping these clothes.
- Don’t keep things that haven’t fit for 3+ years.
- Don’t keep things that are stained or need mending.
- Only keep things you love. Ask, “Would I buy this in the store today?”
- Your bedroom closet is for clothes that fit and are ready to wear. Clothes that don’t fit belong elsewhere.
- Limit your containers for storing clothes that don’t fit. Maybe that’s three plastic bins or the closet in the spare bedroom.
- Go through these containers every year. Get rid of everything you’re not excited to wear or things that haven’t fit for 3+ years.
- How much money do you have? If money is tight, keep more clothes.
- How much does your weight fluctuate? The more it fluctuates, the more clothes you should keep.
- How much space do you have? If space is tight, keep fewer clothes.
- Is it hard to find clothes for your body shape/size? If so, keep more clothes.
- Do you need different kinds of clothes, e.g., work and exercise? The more types of clothes you need, the more you should store.
- Do you have the skills to mend clothes? Do you have the time? If so, give yourself a week to mend clothes before getting rid of them.
More Decluttering Questions:
I need a plan
- Which clothes I should get rid of? Where do I start? (Here's a plan.)
- I have way too many jeans and T-shirts. How many do I actually need? (2 week’s worth.)
- None of my clothing sparks joy—so what do I get rid of? (Focus on what to keep.)
- How do I create a capsule wardrobe? (Here are 5 perspectives.)
- What's in Stewie's Wardobe? (Here's a list.)
Dealing with guilt
- How do you deal with the guilt of getting rid of perfectly good clothes? (Here are 2 suggestions.)
- Is it OK to declutter nice clothes that still fit me? (Yes, absolutely!)
Which clothes to keep
- Should you keep clothes that don’t fit? (It depends.)
- Is it OK to keep maternity wear? (Of course!)
- Should you keep clothes that still have tags on them? (Maybe.)
- Is it worth selling clothes online? (No way.)
- Should you sell clothes at consignment stores? (Maybe.)
- Are garage sales worth it? (Probably not.)
- How do I know which clothes are worth selling? (The $15/hr rule.)
Decluttering Principles & Practices
- Don’t sell clothes unless you earn $15/hour
- Immerse yourself in decluttering photos, podcasts, videos, & books