This is part of my Swift Decluttering For Clothes.
One reader asked:
Is it worth selling clothes at a consignment store?
The short answer is: Probably not. But it depends on a few factors.
Here’s how I think about it: Selling clothes through consignment is a lot like taking on a small side job. How much money do you need to pocket for it to be worthwhile?
For simplicity, let’s assume that your rate is $15 per hour. So only consign clothes if you can earn $15 per hour. This includes drive time.
When I was a kid, my Grandma made a few bucks consigning her Sunday church dresses. But the consignment store was 30 minutes away and the money she earned barely covered the price of gas. (She was friends with the store’s owner, so the monthly trips doubled as a social call and weren’t a complete waste.)
But maybe your situation is different. Maybe you have expensive clothes that will fetch a good price. If so, definitely try telling them through a consignment store. You never know until you try.
More Decluttering Questions:
I need a plan
- Which clothes I should get rid of? Where do I start? (Here's a plan.)
- I have way too many jeans and T-shirts. How many do I actually need? (2 week’s worth.)
- None of my clothing sparks joy—so what do I get rid of? (Focus on what to keep.)
- How do I create a capsule wardrobe? (Here are 5 perspectives.)
- What's in Stewie's Wardobe? (Here's a list.)
Dealing with guilt
- How do you deal with the guilt of getting rid of perfectly good clothes? (Here are 2 suggestions.)
- Is it OK to declutter nice clothes that still fit me? (Yes, absolutely!)
Which clothes to keep
- Should you keep clothes that don’t fit? (It depends.)
- Is it OK to keep maternity wear? (Of course!)
- Should you keep clothes that still have tags on them? (Maybe.)
- Is it worth selling clothes online? (No way.)
- Should you sell clothes at consignment stores? (Maybe.)
- Are garage sales worth it? (Probably not.)
- How do I know which clothes are worth selling? (The $15/hr rule.)
Decluttering Principles & Practices
- Don’t sell clothes unless you earn $15/hour
- Immerse yourself in decluttering photos, podcasts, videos, & books