This is part of my series on How To Be A Good Person.
When my wife and I got married, our lives were very busy. I was embarking on my last year of a bachelor’s degree in computer science. And my wife supported us by working full-time as a junior high math teacher. (Yes, we are two nerds!)
As with many busy couples, Saturday was laundry day. Each time the weekend rolled around, we collected our dirty clothes into a couple of baskets and hauled them to the nearby laundromat.
The first time we did laundry together, I made a mistake. I removed my pillowcase from my pillow and threw it in the laundry basket but I didn’t get my wife’s pillowcase. I grabbed my bath towel from the bathroom but I didn’t get her towel.
In a burst of annoyance, she asked, Why wouldn’t you get mine? Are we roommates? Or a family?
She was right to feel irritated. We were married. We were family. But my mindset hadn’t switched from living with roommates to living with family.
Roommates vs. Family
- Buys their own food and writes their name on everything.
- Does their own laundry individually.
- Cooks and eats dinner by themselves.
- Succeeds or fails by themselves.
- Shares everything in the refrigerator.
- Washes everyone’s clothes together.
- Makes dinner for everyone and eats together.
- Succeeds together and fails together.
After living with roommates for years, it took a bit of time for me to transition to family-life. But I eventually did. And my life has never been better.
Be well, my friend.
Thanks for reading!
Have a question or comment? Shoot me an email firstname.lastname@example.org
More Great Posts
- How To Be A Good Person Tuesday, November 17, 2020
- Rules For Respect Wednesday, November 04, 2020
- Favorite Quotes From “Mini Habits” by Stephen Guise Monday, October 26, 2020
- How To Defend Your Personal Space With Soft Resistance Wednesday, October 21, 2020
- Defend Your Personal Space Thursday, October 08, 2020
- When Is It Ok To Say No? Thursday, October 01, 2020
- Stand Up For Yourself Without Putting Others Down Monday, September 28, 2020
- I Hate Camping—How Do I Say No? Friday, September 25, 2020
- How To Push Back Against A Micromanaging Boss Wednesday, September 23, 2020
- Boundaries Made Simple Sunday, September 13, 2020
- When To Be Assertive—The 5% Rule Monday, September 07, 2020
- Favorite Quotes From “The Obstacle Is the Way” About Handling Distractions Tuesday, August 25, 2020
- Eliminate Distracting Belongings Monday, August 24, 2020
- Favorite Quotes From “The 4-Hour Workweek” About Eliminating Distractions Monday, August 24, 2020
- Proximity Matters Monday, August 24, 2020
- We Want To Be Distracted Sunday, August 23, 2020
- How Do I Stop Endlessly Researching Topics And Get Stuff Done? Thursday, August 20, 2020
- Stop Looking For Drama Tuesday, August 18, 2020
- Beware Of Taking On Extra Responsibility Monday, August 17, 2020
- Track Your Distractions Wednesday, August 12, 2020
- Limit Distractions From Slack Wednesday, August 12, 2020
- Follow The 2-Minute Rule Tuesday, August 11, 2020
- Close Your Browser Tabs Tuesday, August 11, 2020
- Try An App Blocker Monday, August 10, 2020
- Leave Social Media Monday, August 10, 2020
- Find Your Den Of Productivity Sunday, August 09, 2020
- Just Say No Sunday, August 09, 2020
- Silence Your Phone Saturday, August 08, 2020
- Close Your Email Saturday, August 08, 2020
- Limit Distractions With The Pomodoro Technique Friday, August 07, 2020
- Feel Stuck At Work? Make A List Of Questions Friday, August 07, 2020
- Limit Distractions With Music Thursday, August 06, 2020
- Limit Disruptive Noise Thursday, August 06, 2020
- Keep Track Of Your Life With Project Documents Wednesday, August 05, 2020
- Make An “I Won't Do” List Wednesday, August 05, 2020
- Make A “Big Rock” List—Instead of a To Do List Tuesday, August 04, 2020
- How To Do Lists Keep Me Focused Tuesday, August 04, 2020
- Tech Workers' Guide To Distraction Free Work Tuesday, August 04, 2020
- Tech Workers' Guide To Distraction Free Work Tuesday, August 04, 2020
- Dissecting Trump's Words Monday, August 03, 2020
- How To Be Assertive Without Being A Jerk Saturday, July 25, 2020
- Grocery Shopping With Cousin Joe Wednesday, July 15, 2020
- Dear Stewie, How Do I Stop Procrastinating On Long Term Goals? Thursday, June 18, 2020
- Dear Stewie, How Do I Convince My Wife To Get A Dog? Tuesday, May 26, 2020
- Quotes On Being Assertive Sunday, May 17, 2020
- 19 Quotes From “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway” by Susan Jeffers Saturday, May 16, 2020
- 17 Quotes From “Give and Take” by Adam Grant Saturday, May 16, 2020
- 8 Ways To Get Your Kid To Read More Books Friday, May 15, 2020
- Want To Improve Your Relationships? “Chocolate And Flowers” Is Not The Answer! Thursday, May 14, 2020
- Conversations With My 8-year-old Son Sunday, May 10, 2020
- The Veto Strategy: How My Wife And I Make Decisions Wednesday, May 06, 2020
- Positive Action Language Will Change Your Life Sunday, May 03, 2020
- The Power of Positive Action Language Wednesday, April 29, 2020
- How To Push Back On Your Boss Without Being A Jerk Thursday, April 23, 2020
- 13 Writing Lessons From “Style: Toward Clarity And Grace” Sunday, March 29, 2020
- Craving Never Stops, And My Potato Chip Addiction Tuesday, March 10, 2020
- 12 Practices That Keep Me In The Circle of Control Sunday, March 08, 2020
- Our Thoughts Shape Our Relationships Monday, February 17, 2020
- No One Knows What You're Thinking Friday, February 14, 2020
- You Need To Be Needed Wednesday, February 12, 2020
- You Need Attention Tuesday, February 11, 2020
- You Need Validation Sunday, February 09, 2020
- How To Validate Someone's Feelings Sunday, February 09, 2020
- Reframe The Debate: Should Amazon Pay So Little In Taxes? Friday, January 31, 2020
- Your Negative Feelings Come From Unmet Needs Wednesday, January 29, 2020
- 11 Reasons Why The Kindle App Is Better Than Physical Books Wednesday, January 22, 2020
- You Are Special Saturday, January 18, 2020
- Should Writers Wait For Inspiration? Sunday, January 12, 2020
- How A Grocery Shopping List Saves Me Time, Money, and Pounds Saturday, January 11, 2020
- Sleep Deprivation Made College Miserable Wednesday, January 08, 2020
- Things That Help Me Sleep Sunday, January 05, 2020
- Why I Don't Rate Books On Goodreads Saturday, January 04, 2020
- How I “Look Forward And Reason Backward” Thursday, January 02, 2020
- It's 2020 and I Feel Good! (Update On 2019) Wednesday, January 01, 2020
- The Questions I Ask When Starting New Project At Work Monday, December 30, 2019
- Here's What I Do When I Feel Stuck On A New Project Sunday, December 29, 2019
- Why I Named My Ego Taz Thursday, December 26, 2019
- How I Reduced My Anxiety By Creating A Home For All Of My Stuff Thursday, December 26, 2019
- The Taylor Principle Monday, December 23, 2019
- How Fruitless Debates Inflame My Anxiety Sunday, December 22, 2019
- Netflix Really Wants Me To Learn Portuguese Saturday, December 14, 2019
- How Thrive As An Adult Monday, December 09, 2019
- How Social Media Affects My Anxiety Level Sunday, December 08, 2019
- How TV Shows Affect My Anxiety Level Sunday, December 08, 2019
- How Following Sports Affects My Anxiety Level Sunday, December 08, 2019
- How Caffeine Affects My Anxiety Level Saturday, December 07, 2019
- The Anxiety Jar - How I Think About The Intensity Of My Anxiety Saturday, December 07, 2019
- Names Matter Friday, November 08, 2019
- You Are Responsible For Meeting Your Needs Saturday, October 26, 2019
- You Have Some Basic Needs Saturday, October 26, 2019
- Our Collective Goal Is To Work Fewer Hours, Not More Wednesday, October 23, 2019
- Watch for Patterns of Behavior Tuesday, October 22, 2019
- That time my wife asked me, “Are we roommates? Or a family?” Monday, October 21, 2019
- The Grody Blender Sunday, October 20, 2019
- Which Kinds Of Halloween Candy Do You Refuse To Share? Friday, October 18, 2019
- You Aren't Paid According to the Value you Create at Work Sunday, October 13, 2019
- Parkinson's law and Time Management Saturday, October 12, 2019
- Protect Your Autonomy Thursday, October 10, 2019
- How to Stop Making Passive-Aggressive Demands Sunday, September 29, 2019
- Save Money By Waiting 48 Hours To Buy Stuff Wednesday, September 25, 2019
- Take A Monday Morning Minute And Choose Your “One Thing” For The Week Monday, September 23, 2019
- What's The Purpose Of Your Life? Sunday, September 22, 2019
- What Every Aspiring Artist Doesn't Know But Needs To Hear Friday, September 20, 2019
- Discipline Equals Freedom Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Stewie's Recommended Books Wednesday, September 18, 2019
- How To Instantly Improve Your Relationships Saturday, September 14, 2019
- Spend 2 Hours A Day Investing In Yourself Friday, September 13, 2019
- Why People Behave Badly Friday, August 23, 2019
- About Stewie Thursday, August 22, 2019