When my wife and I got married, our lives were very busy. I was embarking on my last year of a bachelor’s degree in computer science. And my wife supported us by working full-time as a junior high math teacher. (Yes, we are two nerds!)
As with many busy couples, Saturday was laundry day. Each time the weekend rolled around, we collected our dirty clothes into a couple of baskets and hauled them to the nearby laundromat.
The first time we did laundry together, I made a mistake. I removed my pillowcase from my pillow and threw it in the laundry basket but I didn’t get my wife’s pillowcase. I grabbed my bath towel from the bathroom but I didn’t get her towel.
In a burst of annoyance, she asked, Why wouldn’t you get mine? Are we roommates? Or a family?
She was right to feel irritated. We were married. We were family. But my mindset hadn’t switched from living with roommates to living with family.
Roommates vs. Family
- Buys their own food and writes their name on everything.
- Does their own laundry individually.
- Cooks and eats dinner by themselves.
- Succeeds or fails by themselves.
- Shares everything in the refrigerator.
- Washes everyone’s clothes together.
- Makes dinner for everyone and eats together.
- Succeeds together and fails together.
After living with roommates for years, it took a bit of time for me to transition to family-life. But I eventually did. And my life has never been better.
Be well, my friend.
CommentsHave a question or comment? Shoot me an email email@example.com
Get Updates Delivered To Your Inbox
Follow Stewie on Twitter
Say, "Hi!" on Twitter @StewieWrites
Subscribe to Stewie's RSS
All About Stewie
Learn random things about Stewie.
Checkout all of Stewie's recommended books.
More Great Posts
- 13 Writing Lessons From "Style: Toward Clarity And Grace"
- Craving Never Stops, And My Potato Chip Addiction
- Circles of Concern and Control
- Our Thoughts Shape Our Relationships
- No One Knows What You're Thinking
- You Need To Be Needed
- You Need Attention
- You Need Validation
- How To Validate Someone's Feelings
- Reframe The Debate: Should Amazon Pay So Little In Taxes?
- Your Negative Feelings Come From Unmet Needs
- 11 Reasons Why The Kindle App Is Better Than Physical Books
- You Are Special
- Should Writers Wait For Inspiration?
- How A Grocery Shopping List Saves Me Time, Money, and Pounds
- Sleep Deprivation Made College Miserable
- Things That Help Me Sleep
- Why I Don't Rate Books On Goodreads
- How I "Look Forward And Reason Backward"
- It's 2020 and I Feel Good! (Update On 2019)
- The Questions I Ask When Starting New Project At Work
- Here's What I Do When I Feel Stuck On A New Project
- Why I Named My Ego Taz
- How I Reduced My Anxiety By Creating A Home For All Of My Stuff
- The Taylor Principle
- How Fruitless Debates Inflame My Anxiety
- Netflix Really Wants Me To Learn Portuguese
- Mental Models That Will Help You Thrive
- How Social Media Affects My Anxiety Level
- How TV Shows Affect My Anxiety Level
- How Following Sports Affects My Anxiety Level
- How Caffeine Affects My Anxiety Level
- The Anxiety Jar - How I Think About The Intensity Of My Anxiety
- Names Matter
- You Are Responsible For Meeting Your Needs
- You Have Some Basic Needs
- Our Collective Goal Is To Work Fewer Hours, Not More
- Watch for Patterns of Behavior
- That time my wife asked me, "Are we roommates? Or a family?"
- The Grody Blender
- Which Kinds Of Halloween Candy Do You Refuse To Share?
- You Aren't Paid According to the Value you Create at Work
- Parkinson's law and Time Management
- Protect Your Autonomy
- How to Stop Making Passive-Aggressive Demands
- Save Money By Waiting 48 Hours To Buy Stuff
- Take A Monday Morning Minute And Choose Your "One Thing" For The Week
- What's The Purpose Of Your Life?
- What Every Aspiring Artist Doesn't Know But Needs To Hear
- Discipline Equals Freedom
- Stewie's Recommended Books
- How To Instantly Improve Your Relationships
- Spend 2 Hours A Day Investing In Yourself
- Why People Behave Badly
- About Stewie