“I don’t trust words, I even question actions, but I never doubt patterns.” — Unknown
The first time someone says something rude to you, you may brush it off. You may conclude that it’s an exception and not a pattern of behavior. But the second time they do it, and the third time, they’ve established a pattern.
Once a pattern of behavior is established, ask yourself, Is my life better with this person in it?
If yes, you might tell them how you dislike that specific behavior. But be prepared for them to feel annoyed and to not change one iota. Another option is to ignore the behavior.
If no, do your best to avoid future interactions with that person. If the person is your boss, it may be time to look for a new job. If you’re dating that person, it may be time to end the relationship.
But Stewie, people can change!
When people do things we don’t like, we often create a fantasy where. In it, we give them critical feedback and they respond positively. As a result, they repent of their sinful ways. And they publicly thank us, in a crowded stadium, with jets and fireworks, for showing them the true path to become a better human. In some cases, we write a bestselling book, become Oprah’s best friend, win the Nobel Peace Prize, and our face is put on a postage stamp.
But it’s just a fantasy and only serves to stroke our ego.
Stop feeding your ego and come back to reality. Yes, people can change. But they seldom do. And you have very little influence in the matter.
So be honest with yourself and accept that you are not going to change them. Instead, focus on the changes you need to make to handle the situation.
Be well, my friend.
Thanks for reading!
Have a question or comment? Shoot me an email email@example.com
More Great Posts
- Dear Stewie, How Do I Stop Procrastinating On Long Term Goals? Thursday, June 18, 2020
- Dear Stewie, How Do I Convince My Wife To Get A Dog? Tuesday, May 26, 2020
- Quotes On Being Assertive Sunday, May 17, 2020
- 19 Quotes From "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" by Susan Jeffers Saturday, May 16, 2020
- 17 Quotes From "Give and Take" by Adam Grant Saturday, May 16, 2020
- 8 Ways To Get Your Kid To Read More Books Friday, May 15, 2020
- Want To Improve Your Relationships? "Chocolate And Flowers" Is Not The Answer! Thursday, May 14, 2020
- Conversations With My 8-year-old Son Sunday, May 10, 2020
- The Veto Strategy: How My Wife And I Make Decisions Wednesday, May 06, 2020
- Positive Action Language Will Change Your Life Sunday, May 03, 2020
- The Power of Positive Action Language Wednesday, April 29, 2020
- How To Push Back On Your Boss Without Being A Jerk Thursday, April 23, 2020
- 13 Writing Lessons From "Style: Toward Clarity And Grace" Sunday, March 29, 2020
- Craving Never Stops, And My Potato Chip Addiction Tuesday, March 10, 2020
- 12 Practices That Keep Me In The Circle of Control Sunday, March 08, 2020
- Our Thoughts Shape Our Relationships Monday, February 17, 2020
- No One Knows What You're Thinking Friday, February 14, 2020
- You Need To Be Needed Wednesday, February 12, 2020
- You Need Attention Tuesday, February 11, 2020
- You Need Validation Sunday, February 09, 2020
- How To Validate Someone's Feelings Sunday, February 09, 2020
- Reframe The Debate: Should Amazon Pay So Little In Taxes? Friday, January 31, 2020
- Your Negative Feelings Come From Unmet Needs Wednesday, January 29, 2020
- 11 Reasons Why The Kindle App Is Better Than Physical Books Wednesday, January 22, 2020
- You Are Special Saturday, January 18, 2020
- Should Writers Wait For Inspiration? Sunday, January 12, 2020
- How A Grocery Shopping List Saves Me Time, Money, and Pounds Saturday, January 11, 2020
- Sleep Deprivation Made College Miserable Wednesday, January 08, 2020
- Things That Help Me Sleep Sunday, January 05, 2020
- Why I Don't Rate Books On Goodreads Saturday, January 04, 2020
- How I "Look Forward And Reason Backward" Thursday, January 02, 2020
- It's 2020 and I Feel Good! (Update On 2019) Wednesday, January 01, 2020
- The Questions I Ask When Starting New Project At Work Monday, December 30, 2019
- Here's What I Do When I Feel Stuck On A New Project Sunday, December 29, 2019
- Why I Named My Ego Taz Thursday, December 26, 2019
- How I Reduced My Anxiety By Creating A Home For All Of My Stuff Thursday, December 26, 2019
- The Taylor Principle Monday, December 23, 2019
- How Fruitless Debates Inflame My Anxiety Sunday, December 22, 2019
- Netflix Really Wants Me To Learn Portuguese Saturday, December 14, 2019
- How Thrive As An Adult Monday, December 09, 2019
- How Social Media Affects My Anxiety Level Sunday, December 08, 2019
- How TV Shows Affect My Anxiety Level Sunday, December 08, 2019
- How Following Sports Affects My Anxiety Level Sunday, December 08, 2019
- How Caffeine Affects My Anxiety Level Saturday, December 07, 2019
- The Anxiety Jar - How I Think About The Intensity Of My Anxiety Saturday, December 07, 2019
- Names Matter Friday, November 08, 2019
- You Are Responsible For Meeting Your Needs Saturday, October 26, 2019
- You Have Some Basic Needs Saturday, October 26, 2019
- Our Collective Goal Is To Work Fewer Hours, Not More Wednesday, October 23, 2019
- Watch for Patterns of Behavior Tuesday, October 22, 2019
- That time my wife asked me, "Are we roommates? Or a family?" Monday, October 21, 2019
- The Grody Blender Sunday, October 20, 2019
- Which Kinds Of Halloween Candy Do You Refuse To Share? Friday, October 18, 2019
- You Aren't Paid According to the Value you Create at Work Sunday, October 13, 2019
- Parkinson's law and Time Management Saturday, October 12, 2019
- Protect Your Autonomy Thursday, October 10, 2019
- How to Stop Making Passive-Aggressive Demands Sunday, September 29, 2019
- Save Money By Waiting 48 Hours To Buy Stuff Wednesday, September 25, 2019
- Take A Monday Morning Minute And Choose Your "One Thing" For The Week Monday, September 23, 2019
- What's The Purpose Of Your Life? Sunday, September 22, 2019
- What Every Aspiring Artist Doesn't Know But Needs To Hear Friday, September 20, 2019
- Discipline Equals Freedom Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Stewie's Recommended Books Wednesday, September 18, 2019
- How To Instantly Improve Your Relationships Saturday, September 14, 2019
- Spend 2 Hours A Day Investing In Yourself Friday, September 13, 2019
- Why People Behave Badly Friday, August 23, 2019
- About Stewie Thursday, August 22, 2019