When you’re just starting in creative work, whether it’s writing or painting or music composition, you’re going to be unhappy with what you produce. What you create is going to be mediocre at best. At worst it will be a flaming pile of rubbish, unfit for the grossest landfill.
You should know, you must know, that this is normal. Every creative person goes through this phase where they produce inferior work. It takes time and persistence to grow out of this stage. It takes time and persistence to produce something good.
Whatever you do, don’t give up. Don’t stop creating just because you feel like your work is garbage. Don’t let feelings of inadequacy stop your journey.
CommentsHave a question or comment? Shoot me an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Updates Delivered To Your Inbox
Follow Stewie on Twitter
Say, "Hi!" on Twitter @StewieWrites
Subscribe to Stewie's RSS
All About Stewie
Learn random things about Stewie.
Checkout all of Stewie's recommended books.
More Great Posts
- Blog Post Series: How I Manage My Anxiety
- How Social Media Affects My Anxiety Level
- How TV Shows Affect My Anxiety Level
- How Following Sports Affects My Anxiety Level
- How Caffeine Affects My Anxiety Level
- The Anxiety Jar - How I Think About The Intensity Of My Anxiety
- Names Matter
- You Are Responsible For Meeting Your Needs
- Know Your Basic Needs
- Our Collective Goal Is To Work Fewer Hours, Not More
- Watch for Patterns of Behavior
- That time my wife asked me, "Are we roommates? Or a family?"
- The Grody Blender
- Which Kinds Of Halloween Candy Do You Refuse To Share?
- You Aren't Paid According to the Value you Create at Work
- Parkinson's law and Time Management
- Protect Your Autonomy
- How to Stop Making Passive-Aggressive Demands
- Save Money By Waiting 48 Hours To Buy Stuff
- Take A Monday Morning Minute And Choose Your "One Thing" For The Week
- What's The Purpose Of Your Life?
- What Every Aspiring Artist Doesn't Know But Needs To Hear
- Discipline Equals Freedom
- Stewie's Recommended Books
- How To Instantly Improve Your Relationships
- Spend 2 Hours A Day Investing In Yourself
- The Real Reason People Behave Badly (And What To Do About It)
- About Stewie