As Halloween marches toward us I can’t help thinking of all the delicious candy my kids are going to collect in their trick-or-treat bags.
Some of my favorites include Snickers, Twix, Reese’s Pieces, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. (I have a weakness for chocolate mixed with caramel or peanut butter. Don’t use my weakness against me. Or do!)
I don’t like sharing
When I was first married, my wife sent me to work with leftover Snickers minis. It was the day after Halloween and she instructed me to share with the other adults. But I didn’t.
At work, when no one was looking, I plopped the bag of deliciousness in my desk’s middle drawer. Whenever something bothered me, I’d pop one of those bad boys in my mouth and feel my irritation ease a bit. Many things and many people annoyed me in those days (I’m better now, I promise!) and by the third day, I found myself staring into an empty bag.
Back in college, the almighty gummy bear was my favorite candy. (I still love those little buggers!) I’m embarrassed to say I may have wolfed down a 5-pound bag of them while studying for a math exam. (I still hate you, linear algebra.) I may have done this more than once. I may have investigated ways to have them delivered to my dorm room and felt discouraged by the shipping costs. (There was no Amazon Prime back then.)
Even now, 20 years later, if I eat one gummy bear I will eat 100 of them without blinking. And another 100. And another. Until there is nothing left except a craving for more. (I hear my stomach grumble even as I type this.)
But I haven’t had any gummy bears in months. Or Snickers. So I’m excited for Halloween. Excited to see my kids dress up and take them trick-or-treating. Excited for the smell of an autumn evening: crisp air, hot cider, and burning leaves. And I’m excited to put my kids to bed and ransack their candy, as I tell myself, They won’t notice if I eat this or this or this.
What about you?
What are your favorite kinds of Halloween candy? What types do you refuse to share with others?
Tell me on Twitter, @StewieWrites, and I’ll it post down below!
@SteveMShepherd — Kit Kats and Reese’s Pieces
Diane Callahan @QuotidianWriter — Milk Duds. Only three per mini box!
CommentsHave a question or comment? Shoot me an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Updates Delivered To Your Inbox
Follow Stewie on Twitter
Say, "Hi!" on Twitter @StewieWrites
Subscribe to Stewie's RSS
All About Stewie
Learn random things about Stewie.
Checkout all of Stewie's recommended books.
More Great Posts
- 11 Reasons Why The Kindle App Is Better Than Physical Books
- You Are Special
- Should Writers Wait For Inspiration?
- How A Grocery Shopping List Saves Me Time, Money, and Pounds
- Sleep Deprivation Made College Miserable
- Things That Help Me Sleep
- Why I Don't Rate Books On Goodreads
- How I "Look Forward And Reason Backward"
- It's 2020 and I Feel Good! (Update On 2019)
- The Questions I Ask When Starting New Project At Work
- Here's What I Do When I Feel Stuck On A New Project
- Why I Named My Ego Taz
- How I Reduced My Anxiety By Creating A Home For All Of My Stuff
- The Taylor Principle
- How Fruitless Debates Inflame My Anxiety
- Netflix Really Wants Me To Learn Portuguese
- How To Thrive As An Adult
- How Social Media Affects My Anxiety Level
- How TV Shows Affect My Anxiety Level
- How Following Sports Affects My Anxiety Level
- How Caffeine Affects My Anxiety Level
- The Anxiety Jar - How I Think About The Intensity Of My Anxiety
- Names Matter
- You Are Responsible For Meeting Your Needs
- Know Your Basic Needs
- Our Collective Goal Is To Work Fewer Hours, Not More
- Watch for Patterns of Behavior
- That time my wife asked me, "Are we roommates? Or a family?"
- The Grody Blender
- Which Kinds Of Halloween Candy Do You Refuse To Share?
- You Aren't Paid According to the Value you Create at Work
- Parkinson's law and Time Management
- Protect Your Autonomy
- How to Stop Making Passive-Aggressive Demands
- Save Money By Waiting 48 Hours To Buy Stuff
- Take A Monday Morning Minute And Choose Your "One Thing" For The Week
- What's The Purpose Of Your Life?
- What Every Aspiring Artist Doesn't Know But Needs To Hear
- Discipline Equals Freedom
- Stewie's Recommended Books
- How To Instantly Improve Your Relationships
- Spend 2 Hours A Day Investing In Yourself
- About Stewie