This is part of my Blog Post Series: How To Thrive As An Adult
I don’t drink coffee, but I love Diet Mountain Dew. And each 12 ounce can, packs a jolt from the 55mg of caffeine, and deposits 10 marbles in my anxiety jar. To be honest, I don’t even need the caffeine, but there’s something absolutely refreshing about its cold sweetness and the tingly bubbles tickling down my throat. In the moment that it touches my tongue, Diet Dew whispers, Even though things are falling apart around you, at least you have me!
The problem is, I can’t just drink it. I gulp it. I guzzle it. In contrast, many of my coworkers, who are self-proclaimed Coke Zero addicts, will nurse their drink of choice and manage to have a single can last for two hours or more. I don’t know how they do it. If there’s an open can next to me, I have to down it.
To make matters worse, the place that I work has unlimited sodas for all employees. (They must buy them by the pallet!) Consequently, there have been days when I drank six cans and added 60 marbles to my jar. On those days, I wound up jittery and speaking fast but unable to articulate a coherent thought. The best word to describe my mental state is frenetic; my wife would describe me as unstable. And if a psychologist were to administer a Rorschach inkblot test, I would probably say that each image is a vibrating insect, and together they’re getting ready to form a conga line headed toward a vine-covered mansion, like the kind in a Southern Gothic tale.
In this state of mind, there’s no hope of going to sleep before midnight. Even when I go to bed by 9 or 10 PM, my buzzing brain prevents me from drifting off to sleep. And once I finally relax and fall asleep, I inevitably experience one of my all-too-common stressful dreams. For example, I had one where I wandered into some sort of Thai bistro, wearing only my underwear, but my chief concern was that someone might see my unkempt hair. I squeezed into a corner booth, hands covering my head, and waited for my pad thai to arrive. But it never did.
These days, I limit myself to two cans per day: one before lunch and one after. This adds twenty marbles to my jar, which is manageable. Someday I hope to avoid caffeine altogether. But like Saint Augustine, who said, Lord give me chastity and self control — but not yet, I am not ready to give up my vice.
Be well, my friend.
CommentsHave a question or comment? Shoot me an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Updates Delivered To Your Inbox
Follow Stewie on Twitter
Say, "Hi!" on Twitter @StewieWrites
Subscribe to Stewie's RSS
All About Stewie
Learn random things about Stewie.
Checkout all of Stewie's recommended books.
More Great Posts
- 11 Reasons Why The Kindle App Is Better Than Physical Books
- You Are Special
- Should Writers Wait For Inspiration?
- How A Grocery Shopping List Saves Me Time, Money, and Pounds
- Sleep Deprivation Made College Miserable
- Things That Help Me Sleep
- Why I Don't Rate Books On Goodreads
- How I "Look Forward And Reason Backward"
- It's 2020 and I Feel Good! (Update On 2019)
- The Questions I Ask When Starting New Project At Work
- Here's What I Do When I Feel Stuck On A New Project
- Why I Named My Ego Taz
- How I Reduced My Anxiety By Creating A Home For All Of My Stuff
- The Taylor Principle
- How Fruitless Debates Inflame My Anxiety
- Netflix Really Wants Me To Learn Portuguese
- How To Thrive As An Adult
- How Social Media Affects My Anxiety Level
- How TV Shows Affect My Anxiety Level
- How Following Sports Affects My Anxiety Level
- How Caffeine Affects My Anxiety Level
- The Anxiety Jar - How I Think About The Intensity Of My Anxiety
- Names Matter
- You Are Responsible For Meeting Your Needs
- Know Your Basic Needs
- Our Collective Goal Is To Work Fewer Hours, Not More
- Watch for Patterns of Behavior
- That time my wife asked me, "Are we roommates? Or a family?"
- The Grody Blender
- Which Kinds Of Halloween Candy Do You Refuse To Share?
- You Aren't Paid According to the Value you Create at Work
- Parkinson's law and Time Management
- Protect Your Autonomy
- How to Stop Making Passive-Aggressive Demands
- Save Money By Waiting 48 Hours To Buy Stuff
- Take A Monday Morning Minute And Choose Your "One Thing" For The Week
- What's The Purpose Of Your Life?
- What Every Aspiring Artist Doesn't Know But Needs To Hear
- Discipline Equals Freedom
- Stewie's Recommended Books
- How To Instantly Improve Your Relationships
- Spend 2 Hours A Day Investing In Yourself
- About Stewie